Is Online Dating For me? Mature Dating Advice For The Mature Woman.
Online dating has rid itself of the stigma it once had and is now the number one way to meet fellow singles. Whether you’re eighteen or eighty, there are countless websites and apps that cater specifically to the older generation, promising to match you with a like-minded man with just a few simple clicks of a button.
If you are new to online dating and feeling a little apprehensive, fear not. Here I’ve jotted down a few words of wisdom from someone who dusted herself off from a divorce at 50 and is now loving life with a new man at 57 and couldn’t be happier.
I was in your position just a few years ago and would have loved some of these pearls of wisdom, so here you go; sit back, relax and enjoy the online dating ride!
- Take the time to get some great photographs. Your photo is the first impression you will make to potential suitors, so forget digging out your old albums, get some up-to-date new ones. Ask a friend or family member to help snap you in a flattering light, and don’t forget to smile!
- Make an effort. With the competition being so fierce you want to stand out from the crowd. When I started online dating, I started dressing to impress all of the time and wow, it did wonders for me! It gave me a boost; I stood taller, held my head higher and I felt like a million pounds. This also shone through when meeting and dating men.
- Be honest about your age. I know it is un-lady like to discuss how old we are, but in the online dating world, age is important. It might be tempting to drop a few years off, but trust me, don’t. If you are looking for a serious relationship, then start out honestly. Age is a funny old thing; it can determine whether someone wishes to meet you or not. Try to keep an open-mind when it comes to age and allow your preferences to be flexible.
- Always speak to any potential dates on the phone before meeting in person. This will save you a lot of time as you can usually determine whether or not you’ll get on in person. However, it is important that you progress to a real-life date sooner rather than later. I made the mistake of building what I thought was a very deep, close online relationship with a man. We spent four months emailing, texting and calling each other – but never met in person. I had built him up in my head to be this perfect gentleman but when we finally met, there was no chemistry. Don’t waste your time creating cyber relationships, the sooner you can meet in the flesh, the sooner you will know if you have a connection or not.
- Be safe. Always let someone know where you are going and who with, never arrange for your date to pick you up from home and make sure you meet in a public place. If something seems strange about your date, don’t be afraid to cancel your meeting and report them if necessary; use your common sense.
- Get ready to be disappointed. This is the one that I really wish I’d have been prepared for. Although online mature dating can be a lot of fun, exciting, interesting and eye-opening, it also comes with rejection and hurt. The worst thing you can do is give up; learn to see failure as a lesson and take on board what you have learnt. You can’t win them all, so if you do get burnt, dust yourself off and jump back on that dating horse. Perseverance is key, so hang in there!
Why wait for love? Sign up for free today!SIGN UP